Friday, April 2, 2010

Adventures in BLW



BLW is short for 'Baby-Led Weaning'. BLW is an approach to introducing solids in a baby-friendly manner. It is not the same as "extended breast-feeding". I just wanted to clarify that from the beginning, because while I am a huge fan of breastfeeding- the idea of nursing a 3 or 4 year old does creep me out. (*This statement isn't meant to offend anyone who EBFs, it's just my opinion. A year ago the idea of breastfeeding past 9 months would have creeped me out too and now I'm planning on going at least 12 months*)

I heard about BLW on a message board a couple months ago when I was starting to look into info about starting solids. Someone mentioned 'baby-led weaning' and so I did what I usually do when I hear about something new .... I googled it! Most of what I found pointed me towards the book "Baby-Led Weaning: Helping your baby to love good food" by Gill Rapley and Tracey Murkett.

From the start, BLW has seemed logical and seemed like the best thing for Emmaline. I'll try to post more about it later. So, for two months I have continued to read about it and looked for people who have tried this approach and waited for Emma to be old enough to start. Technically, Emma won't be 6 months old until next Thursday, but today seemed like a good day to give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment