Saturday, April 3, 2010

Day 2



Menu: avocado and banana - coated with mashed-up cheerio "dust"

Tonight was didn't go so hot. We tried the cheerio "dust" to see if she could get a better grip. She was not happy. I think that she just couldn't stand the texture, because after her hands got messy she held her arms out with her fingers spread and wouldn't really touch anything else. By the time we took her out of the bumbo, she was crying. I don't think the food touched her mouth more than twice and she definitely didn't eat anything.

Dan is thinking that maybe she's just not ready. We'll try again tomorrow (without the cheerio "dust"). If she doesn't seem to enjoy it, we will wait until next weekend before we try again.

Even though everything I've read says that this time period is for experimentation with textures and taste, I already have that little voice worrying that she needs to be eating something. Part of me is ready to run out and buy a little jar of food to shove in her mouth. I guess in a way, I just need to trust the process. I'm doing this because I want her to develop a sense of independence and confidence. I think that she would be very resistant if we tried to spoon-feed her (although she would probably have fun taking the spoon away from us to chew on it). I also want her to have a good relationship with healthy food. It's kind of funny that for 6 months I've taken such pride in the fact that I've been able to provide all the nutrients she has needed and now I'm doubting that.

*It's late and the camera is downstairs so I will post pictures tomorrow.

** Also, in case you think that starting solids will magically help your baby sleep through the night - don't believe it! Emmaline woke up at least 6 times last night.... which is why I am off to bed now.

No comments:

Post a Comment