Sunday, April 4, 2010

Day 3






Menu: avocado and banana

Tonight we skipped the cereal dust and she was happy again! I took the suggestion from another mom to break the banana along the natural thirds instead of cutting it lengthwise so it isn't as slippery. This does leave the banana fairly thick and was a little difficult for Em's chubby little hands - but the part I'm really enjoying so far is watching her try to figure it out. I love her face when she's concentrating and trying to think of a way to pick it up. There was one time where she just reached down and picked up a slice of avocado like it was something she'd been doing forever. I think it's funny that she hestitates a little before putting food in her mouth - toys and cloth go directly to the mouth, but she thinks twice on a banana?!? She also had fun licking her fingers.


We discovered tonight that Emma loves mush! There was a chunk of banana left over that she'd already drooled all over so I decided to smash it up. We pre-loaded the spoon and handed it to her. She went to town. I'm not sure if she was more excited about the banana or the spoon. That led to the only gagging incident tonight - she stuck the spoon too far back. Although my instincts told me to pull it away from her, I paused and she corrected the problem on her own. Although a big part of BLW is skipping purees, my take on it is that it's more about letting Emma take charge of her eating - whether it's in solid form or mashed up. We will not be putting food in her mouth; she will control what goes in.


Tomorrow we will introduce something new - probably sweet potato.
Her diapers today proved that she has managed to swallow some food! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment